Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Apples and Honey in St. Germain en Laye


This morning we took the RER (train) 11 miles outside Paris to a gorgeous suburb, the title of this blog and past home to several of the King Louis and symbolist artist Maurice Denis. Dad and I went straight to Rosh Hashanah services (day 2). It was a short service, mostly familiar, and ended with a drink of Kosher wine that didn't taste like cough syrup. Eat your heart out, Manischewitz, we're in FRANCE now. The real reason we went to a second day of services was just to check out this town.
Even in the rain it was a jewel. A short stroll from the office (literally) where service was held delivered us to a tall iron gate, the once home and studio of Maurice Denis. I stepped in and said to my dad "we're home!" What an amazing estate. We looked at Denis' art (pictured here) for free because one of the rooms was closed. Eden came to mind as I strolled perfectly landscaped plots of roses, black-eyed-susans, and echinacea. There were apples, persimmons, eggplant, rosemary, figs, and broccoli plants. Nurturing both aesthetically and gastronomically, though we didn't take any samples.
I also had my first Ikebana (Japanese flower arranging) lesson ever tonight. Mom's teacher is in town from Japan so I tagged along. AMAZING time. I made two arrangements- one very strict and traditional, the other free-style. The teacher said it was obvious I was the daughter of Berry-san. Hehe.
I certainly miss my friends and other things from home, especially after my 1st run to the grocery store- no refried beans, no peanut butter, no hair conditioner. I eventually found conditioner and I mashed my own beans. I did find peanut butter too, and I am ashamed to report how much I paid for it. If you feel generous, please do send me some peanut butter. I like the natural kind, creamy, s'il vous plait.

That's all for now, going to bed early is a must while they continue construction on the apartment below ours. At least I can't loaf around in bed all morning. Up and art at 8am.