Sunday, July 21, 2013

DPP, Part 2: Heron Silkscreen (incomplete project)

Heron at Morikami Gardens, 2007
A silkscreen workshop at 90+ degrees ain't so bad. When you wash the emulsion out of the screen, you're pretty much wet to your forearms and depending on the height/shape of your water source, your belly/chest/lap/feet get a good soaking, too. I did enjoy working in nice, cool water but remember lamenting the amount of water gushing out of the tap and am hoping to find a more efficient way to complete that step of the process.

Digital image created from photograph for screen
Due to the hot weather the emulsion baked onto to the screen more than expected, and the water pressure in the utility sink faucet could not wash away the exposed parts of the image. We took it outside to try the hose, and determined to clear the last bits of emulsion, I squeezed the hose on and blasted my screen from an inch away. I cleared out some of my image in the process, hence the title of this post. Below is one of the prints I made to test the result of my close encounter with too-high water pressure.
Right side shows result of rinsing away too much emulsion

The instructor, Sarah Coyne, is awesome and offered to remake the screen for me and I look forward to my second attempt.

I think silkscreen is a great way to give my photography new life and I have more ideas brewin.